top of page
Cemetery & Veterans Memorial
Eaton Township Cemetery
In 1854 the Township purchased a tract of land located at the corner of Butternut Ridge Road and Durkee Road for $20.00 from Ira B. and Lydia Morgan. This land was added to an existing cemetery that had been established since the founding of the Eaton Township in 1810. Additional adjacent lands have been purchased to provide sufficient burial spaces for many generations to come. The grounds also bear a U.S. Civil War Centennial Commission marker in recognition of Butternut Ridge. Memorial Association programs were held there from 1961 to 1965. This Presidential Award of Distinction was the first one presented to an Ohio organization at that time commemorating the Centennial of the Civil War. Memorial Day services are held annually to honor all the Township’s armed services veterans.
The Cemetery Sexton is Kurt Durkee. He can be reached Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30 am and 3:30 pm at 440-748-2236. If there is no answer, please leave a message with your name and phone number.
Full cemetery information, including fees and other information, can be accessed by viewing or downloading the Eaton Township Cemetery Brochure.
The Eaton Township Veterans’ Memorial, located at the east end of Eaton Township’s Butternut Ridge Cemetery, was dedicated on November 11, 1995, to honor all veterans from the Revolutionary War to the present who lived in Eaton Township, Ohio. The design of the monument’s 80-foot long granite benches offer a place of respite for veterans and others who visit the Memorial.
Members of the Eaton Township’s Veterans Memorial Committee are dedicated to the maintenance and preservation of the Memorial as well as 502 veterans’ graves interred at the cemetery. The Veteran’s Memorial Committee is also responsible to make sure all new names supplied to the committee are engraved on the Memorial Benches and Memorial Bricks are engraved and laid at the Memorial. A full list of veterans resting in our cemetery can be found below.
Renee Durkee Atkinson
Dedicated November 11, 1997
Brick walkway leading to sixteen Vermont granite benches arranged in an 80-foot semi-circle with flag in center
Engraved with names of Eaton Township veterans from Revolutionary War to present
Founding committee (formed in 1995): Jeanne Walker, Shirley Callihan, Gary McCourt, B. Lou Bateman, Ralph Jennings, William Nowagarski, Richard Mongello, Nancy Lou Sims, Eugene Szczepanski and Ernie Walker
Civil War Monument
6-foot high statue of a Union Soldier at Parade Rest atop a 20-foot base engraved with the names of Eaton Township’s men who served with the Union Army during the Civil War and their battles fought.
Civil War veteran, Harlan Page Chapman campaigned for the monument
Dedicated in 1884; rededicated on May 30, 1959
Verse from Bivouac of the Dead and The Faded Coat of Blue encircle the base.
Presidential Award of Distinction marker is located at the monument’s base along with the names of committee members responsible for observing the centennial years of the Civil War
Interred Veterans’ Facts
5 Revolutionary Soldiers
14 War of 1812 Veterans
5 Spanish American War Veterans
63 Civil War Veterans
18 World War I Veterans
168 World War II Veterans
1 Berlin Crisis
62 Korean War Veterans
45 Vietnam Veterans
2 Gulf War Veterans
3 Veterans who served in two wars: WW II and Korean
29 Peace Time Veterans
87 Unknown (at this time)
30 Air Force
4 Coast Guard
4 Merchant Marines
104 Unknown (at this time)
bottom of page